Posted June 6, 2013 By Ms Sparky
Jim McElhatton – (Federal Times) – June 4, 2013 – The outcome of a court battle between the Army and KBR over the final stages of LOGCAP III, the largest government services contract in U.S. history, could affect tens of thousands of federal contracts while creating “enormous uncertainty” for vendors and the government alike, according to the Justice Department.
The warning, delivered in the footnote of a recent U.S. Court of Federal Claims pleading, marks the latest development in a dispute to decide how to close out the 12-year-old, $38 billion military logistics contract supporting military operations in Iraq.
While the Army has pushed to change the LOGCAP III pricing structure to a firm, fixed-price basis, KBR has sued to keep the closeout work under the existing cost-reimbursable arrangement. Read the remainder of this entry »
Filed in GOV. CONTRACTORS, KBR, KBR Contract, KBR Files Suit, LAWSUITS, Lawsuits Against KBR, LOGCAP III - KBR, Politics | Tagged: False Claims Act, Iraq, John Elolf, Judge Victor Wolski, KBR, LOGCAP, LOGCAP III
Posted May 18, 2013 By Forseti
Jim McElhatton – (Federal Times) – May 5, 2013 – Army contracting officer Robert Egan gave contractor KBR Inc. a rare ultimatum: Provide a firm, fixed price on remaining work to close out the largest government services contract in U.S. history. Or else, he added, he was finished talking.
“Until I see that FFP deliverable, I cannot enter further communication exchanges with your contracts team,” Egan told the company in a Feb. 26 email.
At issue is the final stage of the Army’s $38 billion Logistics Civil Augmentation Program (LOGCAP) III, the 12-year-old logistics contract that has supported virtually all U.S. military logistics operations in Iraq. The Army seeks to revise the pricing terms on the final work to be done on the contract to be firm, fixed price instead of cost-reimbursable. In response, KBR has filed a lawsuit seeking to keep to the existing cost-reimbursable terms.
At stake in the dispute is far more than varying interpretations of contracting procedures. By its own estimates, KBR says the closeout work on the contract will cost more than $500 Read the remainder of this entry »
Filed in GOV. CONTRACTORS, KBR Files Suit, LAWSUITS, LOGCAP III - KBR | Tagged: Charles Tiefer, Commission on Wartime Contracting, GAO, Iraq, KBR, LOGCAP III, Mary Wade, R.W. Nicholson, Robert Egan
Posted November 21, 2012 By Ms Sparky
The US Army resists KBR’s attempt to “gobble” up more taxpayer dollars as KBR cries “fowl” and sues the US Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) after they refuse to indemnify the “turkey’s” [KBR's] legal fees from exposure of Oregon National Guard troops and others to sodium dichromate at Qarmat Ali, Iraq. If I were the Army, I would be saying “Stick a fork in ‘em [KBR], they’re DONE!” (OK….that’s all the Thanksgiving cliche’s for now.)
On November 2, 2012, an Oregon federal jury ruled that KBR must pay $85 million to 12 Oregon National Guard members who allegedly suffered emotional distress after the company exposed them to sodium dichromate at Qarmat Ali.
Each guardsman was awarded $6.25 million in punitive damages after the jury determined that KBR “acted with reckless and outrageous indifference to a highly unreasonable risk of harm and conscious indifference to the health, safety and welfare of others,” as well as $850,000 in non-economic damages. Read the remainder of this entry »
Pages: 1 2
Filed in CHEMICAL AND OTHER EXPOSURES, GOV. CONTRACTORS, KBR, KBR Contract, KBR Files Suit, LAWSUITS, Lawsuits Against KBR, Qarmat Ali Lawsuits, RIO-KBR, Sodium Dichromate @ Qarmat Ali | Tagged: Britain, Hexavalent Chromium, Indiana National Guard, KBR, Oregon National Guard, Qarmat Ali, Sodium Dichromate, USACE, West Virginia National Guard
Posted March 27, 2011 By Forseti
One project that attracted high-level scrutiny last year: a program started by DoD senior civilian strategist Michael Furlong that hired professional contractors to scoop up information in Afghanistan. Furlong, an ex-Army officer, said through his attorney Nancy Luque that the project was approved by Army Gen. David McKiernan, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and by the newly nominated Central Command chief Gen. David Petraeus. – JIEDDO: The Manhattan Project that bombed
In effort to stop roadside bombs, Pentagon hires 1,666 contractors
Peter Cary & Nancy A. Youssef – (Center for Public Integrity & McClatchy Newspapers) – WASHINGTON – March 27, 2011 – Launched in February 2006 with an urgent goal — to save U.S. soldiers from being killed by roadside bombs in Iraq — a small Pentagon agency ballooned into a bureaucratic giant fueled by that flourishing arm of the defense establishment: private contractors.
An examination by the Center for Public Integrity and McClatchy of the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization revealed an agency so dominated by contractors that the ratio of contractors to government employees has reached six to one.
A JIEDDO former director, Lt. Gen. Michael Oates, acknowledged that such an imbalance raised the possibility that contractors in management positions could approve proposals or payments for other contractors. Oates said the ratio needed to be reduced.
The 1,900-person agency has spent nearly $17 billion on hundreds of high-tech and low-tech initiatives and had some successes, but it’s failed to significantly improve soldiers’ ability to detect roadside bombs, which have become the No. 1 killer of U.S. forces in Afghanistan. (Click HERE for article)
In the line of duty
Former cop Mark Mitchell’s exploits in the Middle East sound like the plot of a Hollywood blockbuster – but has he got what it takes to make it as a politician?
Read the remainder of this entry »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Filed in A Soldiers Story, Commission on Wartime Contracting (CWC), GOV. CONTRACTORS, Indictments, Convictions & Arrests, KBR Files Suit, Lawsuits Against KBR, LOGCAP III - KBR, Politics, Reports & Investigations | Tagged: AEY Inc., Ashton B. Carter, Carlos Alfredo Pantoja-Coral, Commission on Wartime Contracting, Daniel Keefe, David Packouz, DCAA*, Diego Echeverri, Efraim Diveroli, False Claims Act, FCPA, Felipe Echeverry, Gen. David McKiernan, Gen. David Petraeus, JIEDDO, Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization, KBR, L-3 Communications, Lt. Gen. Michael Oates, ManTech, Mark Mitchell, Michael D. Furlong, Nick Schwellenbach, Phillip Mills, POGO, Retired General's Club, Rita Lynn Kewer, Roger House, Terry Hall, U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, U.S. Marine Corps
Posted March 22, 2010 By Ms Sparky
Halliburton drops high court appeal in rape case
Associated Press – March 22, 2010 4:05 PM ET
HOUSTON (AP) – Halliburton Co. and KBR have withdrawn an appeal asking the Supreme Court to block the trial of a former military contractor from Texas who says she was raped by co-workers in Iraq.
Halliburton confirmed Monday that the appeal was withdrawn, but wouldn’t elaborate.
Jamie Leigh Jones says she was raped while working for KBR in Baghdad in 2005. She later sued KBR and Halliburton, which split in 2007.
Halliburton and KBR had argued that Jones’ case should be settled in arbitration as required by her contract. A lower court ruled it could go to trial, which is set for May 2011.
The Associated Press usually doesn’t name people alleging sexual assault, but Jones’ identity has been broadcast in media reports and on her own Web site. (click HERE for original article)
Filed in Franken Amendment*, GOV. CONTRACTORS, Jamie Jones vs KBR, KBR Files Suit, LAWSUITS, LOGCAP III - KBR, Miscellaneous, Rape, Hazing, Discrimination & Harassment, Reports & Investigations, Senate & House Committee Hearings | Tagged: Charles Boartz, Charles Bortz, Jamie Leigh Jones, KBR Files Suit, Pete Arroyo, Rape