We have an acronym for that and other news
Pentagon Issues Bitchy Acronym Memo (PIBAM)
Spencer Ackerman – (Danger Room) – April 15, 2011 – Anyone who has dealt with the military learned early on that our men and women in uniform don’t speak English, they speak Acronym. Full fluency typically corresponds with time spent on a headquarters staff, where the only thing officers like more than acronyms is PowerPoint, and the only thing they like more than PowerPoint is a PowerPoint filled with acronyms.
And if there’s one thing defense bureaucrats like, it’s telling people to RTFM on the correct usage. (You can Google that one if you don’t already know it.)
Apparently, officers briefing Defense Secretary Robert Gates recently deluged the Pentagon chief with an impenetrable and inelegant downpour of acronyms — obviously without consulting our guide to the best of them. Because last fall, his staff instructed practically the entire Defense Department on the right and wrong ways to use acronyms. OMG. (Click HERE for article)
DOD Launches New Helpline to Support Victims of Sexual Assault
(DoD) – April 15, 2011 – The Department of Defense today launched its newest initiative to support victims of sexual assault. Using DoD Safe Helpline, service members can “click, call or text” for victim support services for themselves or others. The free, anonymous and confidential resource can be accessed worldwide, 24-hours a day, every day, to connect with live sexual assault support professionals.
In addition to improving victim care, secure and confidential access to Safe Helpline was developed to encourage victims to come forward when they might not otherwise.
“The underreporting of sexual assault poses a serious challenge to military readiness,” said Clifford L. Stanley, under secretary of defense for personnel and readiness. “We believe the Safe Helpline will provide DoD sexual assault victims with a variety of support outlets, which will lead victims to report sexual assault, seek needed information, and receive care.”
Safe Helpline offers three access options designed for service members. Users can log on to http://www.SafeHelpline.org to receive live, one-on-one confidential help with a trained professional through a secure instant-messaging format. The website also provides vital information about recovering from and reporting sexual assault. A second option is to call the telephone hotline at 877-995-5247 to speak with Safe Helpline staff for personalized advice and support. Safe Helpline staff can also transfer callers to installation-based sexual assault response coordinators (SARC), on-call victim advocates, civilian rape crisis centers, or to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The third option is for users to text their location to 55247 inside the United States or 202-470-5546 outside of the United States to receive automated contact information for the SARC at their installation or base. (Click HERE for article)
Investigation launched into San Antonio repairs
Corinne Reilly – (The Virginian-Pilot) – NORFOLK – April 15, 2011 – The Navy said Thursday it has launched a new investigation into engine repairs aboard the Norfolk-based ship San Antonio after recent audits uncovered serious problems with records kept by private contractors who overhauled the engines.
Since it was built, the 6-year-old San Antonio has been plagued with a string of major engine defects. Only in the past few months has the Navy become convinced that it’s finally gotten to the bottom of them.
So far, officials said, there is no indication that the latest round of engine work wasn’t done properly, or that more fixes are needed. Instead, the problem is the Navy can’t tell based on documents – documents the civilian contractors are required to provide – what work was done and what wasn’t.
“There were missing reports; reports with data indicating out-of-specification conditions without indication of what repairs were performed; and reports with missing data or inconsistent data,” Naval Sea Systems Command said in a written statement issued in response to inquiries from The Virginian-Pilot. “Improper documentation of maintenance is unacceptable.”
The Navy said the two contractors responsible are Earl Industries, the prime contractor, and Fairbanks Morse, the engine manufacturer. (Click HERE for article)
Lawmakers blast Navy over Lejeune water contamination
Barbara Barrett – (McClatchy Newspapers) – WASHINGTON – April 15, 2011 – Five members of Congress on Friday called the Department of the Navy to task — again — for what they say is an apparent resistance to keeping veterans informed about past water contamination at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.