Home » GOV. CONTRACTORS » Is Dyncorp hiring employees or asking for volunteers in Afghanistan?

Is Dyncorp hiring employees or asking for volunteers in Afghanistan?

DyncorpExperienced overseas workers know there will be a certain amount of bull shi*t associated with any contractor, job or country you might consider working in. It doesn’t matter who you’re working for or where you’re working, there is bound to be some machiavellian manager in charge or worse yet, one who appears to have the management IQ of a carrot.  And yes, this “root vegetable” will be in total control of your life in this foreign country. There are atmospheric and environmental issues…..Antarctica is too damn cold, Iraq is to damn hot and Asia is too damn humid. There are cultural issues and language barriers with the locals and the ever present separation from your family issues.

Those variables and more factor in to what I call a persons “Maximim Bull Sh*t Tolerance Level” (MBSTL). This level is the maximum level of bull sh*t a person can endure on a job for the amount of money they are being paid.  Personal financial goals and situations are different therefore, every bodies “MBSTL” is as different and unique as they are. But it would appear that pay and “MBSTL”are directly proportional. The higher the pay, the higher the “MBSTL”. With this information, one should be able to conclude that ZERO pay would equal a ZERO “MBSTL”.

In all my years of working overseas, I have found this to be true. Don’t pay what you agreed to pay them and their normally tolerant attitude becomes intolerable and disgruntled! Interesting phenomena don’t you think? Let’s examine why this might happen.

A person, in good faith, accepts an offer to be paid a certain wage at certain intervals from a company such as DYNCORP to go to nasty third world country like Afghanistan in the middle of a war to support the United States mission Operation Enduring Freedom. It is be bitterly cold in the winter, stifling hot in the summer, dusty all the time and insurgents are actively trying to kill you. Tools and materials are difficult to get if at all, you desperately miss your family, and yes a “machiavellian root vegetable” is giving you orders.  Still this appears to be well under your “MBSTL”.

Now throw in the fact that, your desperately needed paycheck did not get direct deposited on the next expected payday. Hmmm. You give them that one. You are a new employee. Maybe someone didn’t get the paperwork in on time. Your “MBSTL” is lowered somewhat but you are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The next pay day rolls around, a month later and still no paycheck has been direct deposited into your account. If you had wanted to go to Afghanistan as a volunteer instead of a Dyncorp employee you could have joined some humanitarian organization. At this point in time you have basically worked for free for nearly two months.

You signed a contract with Dyncorp and they agreed to pay you a certain amount on a certain day. And they didn’t. They are in breach of their contract. But then Dyncorp Deputy Project Manager in Kandahar informs you that you can’t quit because they will charge you for the airfare and expenses over and back. It will be deducted from the check you haven’t even gotten yet! What the hell?

I have received numerous complaints from Dyncorp employees in Afghanistan about this issue. Here are some of their comments.

Now we are at two pay cycles late…and no help at all…just excuses…I am going home now….I will not work and not get paid…..Fluor offered me a job…I will surely take that…..EVERYONE is pissed……Dyncorp will not last long like this……We thought KBR was bad….this one takes the cake

The people that said they were going to quit because of not being paid were told they would have to pay for their own ticket home too. The sad part was that these same people couldn’t afford to buy a ticket (hadn’t been paid…) but DynCorp said “no problem, we’ll take if from your final paycheck”.

I had to go to Dyncorp Corporate to get paid. That really pissed off Dyncorp management in Kandahar. I was told “This issues is between (you), Payroll and HR.  Let’s keep it at that level! We were also told by the same manager if we ever talked to the DCMA we would be fired.

They are now trying to pay in cash. They are paying the SCW’s in cash as well. Many of them haven’t been paid for two months as well. What in the hell do any of us need a fistful of cash here in Afghanistan? We need it in our bank accounts for our families. This is really putting the SCW’s at risk. I suspect there is going to be a whole lot of stealing and fighting going on in the tent.

One would think this is Dyncorp’s first big job , their first overseas job. Just maybe they are not cut out for LOGCAP IV.

Here’s what I do know. If Dyncorp has submitted vouchers to the DoD to be paid for payroll that they haven’t paid. IT’S FRAUD!!! If Dyncorp hasn’t paid their people in two months the amount agreed to in the agreed to method, they are in breach of their contract. If you quit after not being paid and they charge you for the airfare and expenses let me know, I will help you find an attorney.

Here are a few of the Dyncorp managers involved.

Hank Miller – Dyncorp Project Manager – Kandahar, Afghanistan (Allegedly a retired 1-star Army General trying to verify)

Scott Mount – Dyncorp Deputy Project Manager – Kandahar, Afghanistan and the former KBR Project Manager for DF&I sites in Iraq.  He “Voluntarily” resigned from the project in 2005. Allegedly there were some questionable WBS coding practices and he is not eligible for rehire at KBR.  The word on the street was that KBR implemented the “Front Line Supervisor Training” in part because of his cronyism and management style.  Paul Cerjan the Program Manager of LOGCAP III even sent out a “Cerjan Sends” slide condemning the threats and intimidation tactics used by Scott Mount and his Leesville “Redneck Mafia.” I have so much info on Scott Mount and KBR, I could write a book just on him. He is named in at least one discrimination civil suit.

Conrad Cannon – Dyncorp O&M manager. Also known as the “I don’t know” man.

I would love to hear from more current and former Dyncorp employees from Afghanistan. Is this happening anywhere else? Let me know.

1. Comment by What!:

Can you just summarize and tell us what your point is? I will have to take the weekend off to go through this.

2. Comment by MW:

I am so thankful my husband found a good job when he got sent home and doesn’t have to put up with all this foolishness anymore! Thanks for sending him home KBR!!!!!! Good luck to all who are still there and come home safe

3. Comment by What!:

Xe Services (formerly known as Blackwater) is once again in the news, thanks to charges made by two former employees. Brad and Melan Davis, a married couple, worked in various Blackwater locations, both overseas and in the United States.

They are suing Blackwater using the False Claims Act, a US federal law that allows people with no government affiliation to file lawsuits against federal contractors claiming fraud against the government. People filing under the act stand to receive a portion (usually about 15-25%) of any recovered damages. Typically, allegations have been filed by people with inside knowledge of false claims involving health care, military or other government spending programs. The government recovered nearly $22 billion under the act between 1987 and 2008.

Their suit makes many allegations but, predictably, the press thus far have largely focused on the most sensational, namely that Blackwater officials kept a Filipino prostitute on the company payroll for a US State Department contract in Afghanistan, and billed the government for her time working for Blackwater male employees in Kabul. The alleged prostitute’s salary was categorized as part of the company’s “Morale Welfare Recreation” expenses. The Davis’ charges have not yet been proved or disproved.

It may be sad to say but, given the history of sexual activities and some private contractors, the alleged use of a prostitute may actually be a step up. At least they were not trafficking in child sex slaves, as some DynCorp contractors did in Bosnia in the late 1990s.

The story of the now legendary Tori the Escort shows how prostitutes have been shipped in to war zones. In 2007, the blog Wonkette broke the story that Tori was going to be in Baghdad’s Green Zone for an extended tour, “entertaining all members of the PMC community registered with PSCAI [Private Security Company Association of Iraq]“.

As the use of a prostitute is between consenting parties it cannot be termed “sexual harassment”, which is prohibited under the terms of the Worldwide Personal Protective Services (WPPS) contract under which Blackwater operates in Afghanistan. However, there is a clause with respect to guard conduct that states:

Personal activity on post: The guards will not engage in any unofficial business on post; ie, soliciting, canvassing, peddling, sales promotion of a commercial item, loan money for interest and etc. [pg 70]
    A lawyer could probably argue that the woman was originally working at a hotel, thus not on base, and as such is not covered by the clause. Where she worked when she was put on the payroll remains an unanswered question.

It bears pointing out that Melan Davis, who reported the billing of the prostitute’s services to the government, was hired back in December 2005. In the suit she notes:
    After the Department of State meeting educated me on dire permissibility of various practices, I discovered a substantial amount of fraudulent billing. One of the first items I uncovered was Blackwater billing for payments made to a prostitute. I came across the name of a female Filipino on the expenses submitted for cost reimbursables in connection with Task Force No 4. At that time, to my knowledge, the only third-country nationals we had in country in Afghanistan were Columbians. I wanted to figure out whether we had Filipino third-country nationals as well because I had not seen any others beyond this name.

I contacted Susan Bergman, who was the logistics operations manager in Kabul, Afghanistan. She informed me that the woman was not a third-country national hired to serve as a static guard, but rather was a prostitute, who had been ousted from the hotel where she was working for several Blackwater men. As a result, they put her on the Blackwater payroll under the Morale Welfare Recreation (MWR) category. To the best of my knowledge, Blackwater billed her plane tickets and monthly salary to the United States under the Task Orders.

This takes corporate pimping to new heights. Also, given the timeline she describes this means that Blackwater was still a member of the International Peace Operations Association, a leading trade group for the private military contracting industry.

Blackwater pulled out of IPOA after Blackwater employees were accused of killing innocent Iraqi civilians in the Nisour Square shootings of September, 2007. In December, a US federal judge dismissed charges against the contractors on the grounds that the government bungled the case by using testimony that was given under a grant of immunity.

The IPOA has a code of conduct that its member companies are supposed to follow, though what happens if a company violates the code has never been clear. While nothing in the code says that contractors can’t use prostitutes, there is language that could reasonably be construed as suggesting it is a bad idea.

The section on accountability says: “Signatories shall support effective legal accountability to relevant authorities for their actions and the actions of their personnel. Signatories shall proactively address minor infractions, and to the extent possible and subject to contractual and legal limitations, fully cooperate with official investigations into allegations of contractual violations and breaches of international humanitarian and human rights laws.” By billing the government for the prostitute’s services Blackwater was certainly in violation of “contractual limitations”.

You’ll have to forgive me if I can’t feign too much surprise at the thought of our beloved military contractors indulging themselves in a little pimping. This is actually par for the course. Let’s flashback to April of 2008:
    A contractor died when a DynCorp manager used an employee’s armored car to transport prostitutes, according to Barry Halley, a Worldwide Network Services employee working under a DynCorp subcontract.
    “DynCorp’s site manager was involved in bringing prostitutes into hotels operated by DynCorp. A co-worker unrelated to the ring was killed when he was traveling in an unsecure car and shot performing a high-risk mission. I believe that my co-worker could have survived if he had been riding in an armored car. At the time, the armored car that he would otherwise have been riding in was being used by the contractor’s manager to transport prostitutes from Kuwait to Baghdad.”
    And now, smash-cut to August of 2002:
    Two former employees of DynCorp, the government contracting powerhouse, have won legal victories after charging that the $2 billion-a-year firm fired them when they complained that co-workers were involved in a Bosnia sex-slave trade.
    In late June, Salon published a two-part investigation into the participation of DynCorp employees in the Bosnian sex-slave trade, based in part on evidence uncovered in the Johnston case. At least 13 DynCorp employees have been sent home from Bosnia — and at least seven of them fired — for purchasing women or participating in other prostitution-related activities. But despite large amounts of evidence in some cases, none of the DynCorp employees sent home have faced criminal prosecution.

• Comment by YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY.....:

What’s the deal with labeling once ethnity as a “prostitute” can’t you just say a “prostitute” why do you keep putting “Filipino”

But, I notice you never stated “Bosnian women” child sex slaves or Bosnian women sex-slave trade….when you talked about Dyncorp…………you just stated the “Country” what’s up with that “Bigot” remark hommie……

You have something against “Filipino” people….you stupid M___ther…._f__ker…

4. Comment by What!:

Now this is where we are just so hypocritical. Does the DOD know what the USG is doing to combat Trafficking?

The Philippines Department of Foreign Affairs is coordinating with the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking to assist the victims and prosecute the traffickers.

The United States has recently retained the Philippines in its tier two watch-list of countries that do not comply with international anti-human trafficking laws for the second straight year, citing the government’s inability to effectively prosecute trafficking crimes due to an inefficient judicial system and endemic corruption.

Ongoing investigations have found Human Trafficking to be prevalent in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan among military personnel and DOD Contractors.

5. Comment by Smarttexan:

As someone who is seriously considering trying to go overseas to work so I can recover what I lost in my 401(k), I’ve been reading lots of negative things here. 2 things come to mind for me. For someone who obviously benefited from going overseas and working for KBR (or Dyncorp for that matter) why so many sour grapes about the company? The other thing I wanted to mention is that before I realized I had to go back to work to recover my retirement, I had taken early retirement from KBR or Brown & Root as it was known when I first began with them. That was in 1977 back when they were a very reputable construction and engineering company consistently in the top 5 in the world. This new KBR, the one with the people working overseas for these defense contracts, is NOT the same company I remember nor or the employees of the same caliber.
    At any rate, my husband and I are thinking of going over married status if we can find positions we are suited for that are suited for us. Any advice/inside information for a married couple? I can’t think of the negativity because doing this is the only way we are going to be able to retire and not be homeless in 10-12 years. We want to know the pros, I’ve read lots of cons.
    Thanks.

• Comment by I Q:

SMARTTEXAN,

FIRST LEAVE YOUR WIFE AT HOME OR HAVE HER TAKE “MARTIAL ARTS” TO PROTECT HERSELF, UNLESS YOU WANT HER TO BE SUBJECTED TO RAPE AND SEXUAL HARRASSMENT BY SEXUAL “PREDITORS” IN IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN.

SECOND, BACK THEN, IT WAS OKAY FOR FATHER, BROTHER, INLAWS AND HUSBAND AND WIFE TO BE ALL WORKING IN THE SAME “DEPARTMENT” NOW, THAT’S CONSIDERED “NEPOTISM” OR WITHIN THOSE “REGULATION”….MEANS YOU AND YOUR WIFE CAN NOT WORK UNDER THE SAME DEPARTMENT….

THIRD, TIME HAS CHANGE AND ALOT HAS HAPPEN “SINCE” YOUR EARLY RETIREMENT WITH KBR……

HERE IS THE PROS:

IF YOU DON’T MIND BEING HUMILIATED, LIED TO, MISLEAD BY MANAGERS, NOT GETTING PAID FOR 3 MONTHS, LISTENING TO “UNHAPPY” WORKERS, HOT INTENSE WEATHEIR AND DUST STORMS, AND THE LIVING CONDITIONS IN AFGHANISTAN OR IRAQ……THEN I GUESS YOU ARE FIT FOR THE JOB……..

BRING ALOT OF “STRESS PILLS” WITH YOU AND STUDY “YOGA” IT MIGHT HELP YOU A BIT…..WATCHOUT FOR THE “BACK STABBERS”

• Comment by FRESH MEAT:

THIS IS TO SMARTTEXAN

PROS:

IF YOU’RE DEAF, DUMB, BLIND AND DON’T MINE SHARING YOUR WIFE WITH “OTHER MEN” AND THAT’S YOUR “CUP OF TEA”….TO MAKE MONEY

THEN, I GUESS YOU ARE IN AND “READY FOR WORK” WITH THESE CONTRACTORS…….

GOOD LUCK

NO, PUN INTENDED OKAY…..

• Comment by Smarttexan:

To IQ, who judging from the grammatical skill doesn’t have a very high one: Had you read my post, you’d know I don’t have a wife….I AM A WIFE. In addition, it has been against company policy at KBR for many years to hold a subordinate position beneath a relative, nothing new there. The other perplexing thought is why in the world would you have ever gone overseas to work under such deplorable conditions? Planes fly both ways, don’t they?

• Comment by Smarttexan:

Fresh Meat (???? weird) So a prerequisite to getting hired married status is that a husband has to agree to allow other men free grattis with his wife? I just don’t buy that. Of course, as mentioned to Mr. IQ, my original inquiry was to find out if there was anything positive to be said regarding working overseas because “my husband and I are considering going.” That comment would imply that I am the wife and not the husband, so why is your answer directed toward my husband who was not posing the question?

• Comment by Concern:

Smarttexan,

Good luck for trying to apply jobs overseas. My husband has been working in Afghanistan for a while now, and I have been trying to apply jobs that would qualify my education and skills with Fluor, so I can be with my husband over there. Fluor will not even consider looking at my job application at all. I really miss husband and would love to be with him in Afghanistan. Good luck…

6. Comment by Nitzer:

Well, the good thing for me is that I didn’t have a job and now I have a job that pays more than I could make in the states. The guys I work with are fun so that is a plus. Other than that…not many pluses. Things are getting better albeit slowly…very slowly.

7. Comment by Tim Jenkins:

Sexual predators doesn’t even cover it. Most contractors over here are exactly that, they use the I’m lonely excuse to fool around on the wife and then say its okay.

• Comment by MWRchick:

There are alot of pro and cons to working overseas. I worked for KBR for 5 years in Iraq. I’m a single female and didn’t have too many problems with the contractors or military. It might depend on the camp you are at, some allowed married couples others split them up.

I had some great times, met some great people and overall had a wonderful experience working with KBR. Of course I also dealt with difficult people, had overbearing bosses, and coworkers that could care less about the mission. I guess the good out wieghed the bad for me.

I mainly worked around the military all day long and I think that’s why I could put up with the BS. I don’t think I would have lasted as long just working with contractors all day long.

If you want to try for a job, go for it, it will be an experience of a life time. I’m sure things have changed, I have been home in the states for a year now. I’m looking to get back over as well, back with MWR.

8. Comment by RS216:

Since this post was about a year ago, can anyone tell me whether DynCorp is still like this? My husband is considering a job with them in Kuwait, and he was told after 3-4 months a residential visa should be approved for me and my two young children (9months and 3 yrs) to move out there with them.
    Is there anyone who has worked for DynCorp and had a good experience? Is their company still scandalous as MsSparky has mentioned?

9. Comment by andrew:

what upsets me most is that americans are paid risk allowance and foreign nationals are not. my big question is are they not taking any risk or are they not human being????????????????????somebody answer me

• Comment by sail:

Andrew

This is based on Department of State Regulations.

• Comment by Philip Nolan:

Foreign nationals are not paid danger pay or post differential. Those premiums are required for US nationals working on USG contacts.

• Comment by HVAC guy:

Bro i hav been wrkng for dyncorp since 2009. when we are new here our living condtions wre really bad as they say above. But now its ok comparing that time. Regarding your question danger pay. We FN or so called TCN’s are hired and the only reason is to minimxize the expenses. That doesnt make any sense when we expect allowances like they do..

10. Comment by anonymous:

well its too unfortunate that foreign nationals from India,Macedonia and Kenya get paid terribly.
    when an expat who works as a laborer is paid $16 dollars an hour an FN is paid $2.34 an hour and they are both doing the same thing. and when they talk they talk of equal opportunity employer.

• Comment by Tom:

Anonymous, I used to feel the same way when i started in iraq, but after talking to a few people and then after some researching i found out the pay was nearly the same. The $16 an hour you quote is based on American currency which i’m assuming you get paid. Your SCW’s get paid in their currency which is based on the economic situation of that country. Keep in mind if they got paid $16 an hour, they would be kidnapped as soon as they got home with that amount of money or their families would be kidnapped. Think about this, if you took your american paycheck to one of those countries you’d be able to stretch your money 4-5 times further than you could in the states.

11. Comment by man on the street:

This letter is about DI AFCAP Escort/Monitor mission. DI is having a high turnover rate and we only have 75 people. The project is only about 3 months old. DI underbid URS for the contract. Two people quit because they were not being paid. One only received $100 dollars for 2 weeks work.
    Then there is Troy Ratliff the site lead and Keith Fointno who are bad managers. they let racism go unchecked until there are several complaints about Earl Ahrens. The majority of workers are black here at Bagram.Then DI corporate gets involved and does nothing. Ratliff let’s Fointno favoritism of people go unchecked and this causes low morale. Blacks and whites have complained about this but it falls on deaf ears. It seems that DI Corporate does not care.

• Comment by old salty:

I have noticed that this Escort Program does seem to have about 3-6 people quitting each week. It appears that DI Corporate has a blind eye to what is going on at BAF. You have that and the fact that DI will not pay for airfare for emergency leave. One must go to the Red Cross and apply for help to get a plane ticket. It does not have a plan in place for this event. DI says all the right things for government compliance yet does nothing about Earl Ahrens, a vocal racist, hmmm?

• Comment by Shenanigans:

Old Salty I just returned
        from the DI BAF internment camp,
        I couldn’t believe the amount of harassment and violations permitted/committed against DI employees! Raitliff was finally asked to resign and the racism unfortunately is prevalent, if your white you get nothing if your black you get everything and don’t even have to show up for work, you can wear whatever clothing you want…etc… BUT that’s not my concern, it’s true that DI corporate is a Don’t Give a SHIT company! All they care about is boots on the ground, if you can get an interim with no hope on earth of the final being granted that’s ok because you can work for 2 years on an interim. DI is STILL NOT PAYING PEOPLE, I worked for 1.5 months before I was paid. DI sends people without malaria pills, and as far as having protective gear…FORGET IT, NO GAS MASKS even though everyone signed for one and was told the masks would be waiting for them at BAF! THEN they take away the ballistic plates from our IBA because the company they were borrowed from wanted them back! What a screwed up operation! I can promise that they billed the govt for gas masks and hours worked that weren’t actually worked.
        I’m thankful to be home and now they say I owe THEM! for flights? over $2,000 dollars HAHAHAHA!!!!