ANOTHER electrocution death in a shower in Iraq
Exactly 20 months ago today SSG Ryan Maseth was electrocuted and died in his shower at Radwaniyah Palace Complex in Baghdad. Ryan’s mother, Cheryl Harris mounted an all out assault on the DoD for their total lack of control and oversight on KBR’s LOGCAP contract therefore allowing KBR to kill her son. My mistake….the CID disagreed with the DoD Inspector General and thinks it was an accident. Cheryl’s primary concern has always been the safety of the troops and civilians. It’s because of Cheryl that there is a Task Force SAFE and safer living conditions for EVERYONE in Iraq and Afghanistan.
But sadly that that was not enough for the 25 year old male who died of electrocution in a shower on September 1, 2009 at Camp Olympia in the International Zone (Green Zone) in Baghdad, Iraq. Currently that is all the information I have.
I need your help to fill in the blanks for my readers. We need to get the word out before whoever is responsible can sweep this under the rug and make it look like ANOTHER ACCIDENT!! (That was for the CID in Ryan’s case) Here are my questions.
- What is the persons name? Adam Hermanson
- Was the correct date Sept 1, 2009? Yes
- Was this person a Soldier-if so which unit? No.
- Was this person a US civilian-if so who did they work for? Triple Canopy
- Was this person a Third Country National-if so what country and who did they work for? American
- Was this shower in an Ablution Unit (AB Unit), an existing hard structure or trailer housing (CHU or Hooch)? So far all reports say hardstand existing building.
- What is the building/trailer number? Still need this
- Who had the Operations & Maintenance (O&M) contract-KBR, Inglett & Stubbs or someone else? Still need this
- Has this facility been inspected by Task Force SAFE? If so when? There was an after accident investigation. Still unclear if this building was was inspected prior to this incident or was on the deferred list.
- If it has been inspected by TFS who did the repairs? KBR, Inglett & Stubbs or someone else? Still unkown
- Are there any outstanding repairs to be done? Still unkown
- Have there been any service orders or complaints about shocks in this facility? Still unkown
I’m sure more questions will come up but I think that’s it for now. If you have information other than what is asked for send it as well. If you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment to this post click HERE to send me an email. Anonymous is OK. I will make sure all information gets to the appropriate investigators.
I do believe this is the second electrocution in the International Zone (Green Zone). Andy Barsamian was the first. He was an Armenian TCN/FN electrician who worked for KBR in the Green Zone at Camp Prosperity (D-2). He was electrocuted and died on November 13, 2005. If you have any information about Andy’s death or information about any other electrocution deaths or serious shock injuries please contact me.
UPDATE: Click HERE for the most recent blog post and media coverage on this incident.