Adam Hermanson of Triple Canopy Electrocuted In Shower In Iraq
I first blogged about this tragic death on Sept 2 after I had been notified it happened. You can read that post HERE
AP NewsBreak: Contractor electrocuted in shower
By KIMBERLY HEFLING
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER
A State Department contractor apparently has been electrocuted while showering in Baghdad even as U.S. authorities in Iraq try to remedy bathhouse wiring problems that have led to the deaths of American troops there.
The contractor, Adam Hermanson, 25, died Sept. 1, his wife, Janine, said Tuesday. She added that a military medical examiner told her that preliminary findings indicate her husband died from low voltage electrocution.
Electrical wiring has been an ongoing problem in Iraq. At least three troops have been electrocuted in the shower since the start of the Iraq War. Inspections and repairs are under way at 90,000 U.S.-maintained facilities there.
Hermanson grew up in San Diego and Las Vegas. He joined the military at age 17, and did three tours in Iraq with the Air Force before leaving at the rank of staff sergeant. He returned to Iraq as an employee of the Herndon, Va.-based private contractor Triple Canopy.
Jayanti Menches, a spokeswoman for Triple Canopy, said in an e-mail that the company was saddened by his death but would not be commenting further until an investigation was complete.
State Department spokesman Robert Wood also offered condolences to the family, but would not elaborate further on the cause of death, pending an investigation.
Janine Hermanson said her husband took the contracting job so they would have money to buy a house in Muncy, Pa., where they were planning to live. She said she’d already moved there and was living with her parents.
The two would have celebrated their fourth wedding anniversary on Sunday.
“He was supposed to come back and we had a lot of plans,” said his wife, who also served in Iraq with the Air Force.
Besides three Iraq tours, Adam Hermanson served in Uzbekistan with the Air Force. His mother, Patricia Hermanson, 53, of Las Vegas, said everyone in her family was struggling to understand how he could survive four war tours, then die suddenly in a seemingly safe place.
“We all know that Adam was as strong as a tank,” his mother said. “He was in good health.” (click HERE for original article)
We are still looking for more information on this incident, such as:
1. Who had the O&M (electrical maintenance) contract for Camp Olympia which is supposedly across from Union III and is in the International Zone/ Green Zone.
2. What is the building number for the building Adam died in?
3. Who is doing the criminal investigation? CID? NCIS? FBI? Department of State Inspector General?
This really infuriates me. It has been 20 months since SSG Ryan Maseth was electrocuted and died in his shower. And it’s still not safe to take a shower after work in Iraq. So what has happened to the 100’s of millions of US Taxpayer dollars that went to line the pockets of KBR and SBH? I would say the DCMA has some explaining to do.
If you have any information regarding Adam Hermanson’s death please contact me by clicking HERE and I promise to get the information to the family or their attorney.
My most sincere condolences to Adam’s family. I pledge to do whatever I can to help you find the answers you deserve.