Home » Electrocutions/Shocks » Senator Casey Wants Clarification
 

Senator Casey Wants Clarification

For much more info on the investigation of this issue go to my

“KBR & Senate Hearing” Category

Pentagon: 16 soldiers died from electric shock
WASHINGTON (AP) — Sixteen American troops have died from accidental electrocutions in Iraq, the Defense Department said Friday, more than the military has previously disclosed.
Most of the 11 Army soldiers and five Marines died during their work, including making accidental contact with power lines or those killed while performing maintenance on electrical systems, the Pentagon said. But two died while in their living facilities, including at least one soldier who was electrocuted while he took a shower.

The disclosure came after KBR Inc. Chief Executive William Utt met with Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., on Capitol Hill Friday to discuss allegations that soldiers died from electrocutions caused by faulty wiring at U.S. facilities run by the contractor.

Earlier this month, Gen. David Petraeus, the top commander in Iraq, said 13 Americans had died from electrocution in Iraq. Petraeus ordered a safety review of all facilities in Iraq occupied by U.S. troops and the Pentagon’s inspector general is reviewing the deaths.

Casey said there have also been dozens of injuries and hundreds of fires from faulty electrical work and that there have been reports of problems with people being shocked as recently as three weeks ago. But Casey and Rep. Jason Altmire, D.-Pa., who also attended the meeting with KBR officials, said it remains unclear whether it is the military or the contractor that bears responsibility.

“It leads to hundreds and hundreds of questions that Congress must ask,” Casey said.

Houston-based KBR has said it has not found a link between electrical work it did and the electrocutions. The company holds a multibillion dollar contract to provide basic services at thousands of buildings in Iraq.

In a statement, Utt reiterated that the company is not responsible for the deaths, and that it “remains committed to fully cooperating with the government on this issue.” He also told Casey that a February 2007 change in the company’s contract limited its duties for performing electrical maintenance and repairs.

At a hearing earlier this month, former KBR electricians said KBR employees with little electrical experience supervised work done by subcontractors and foreign electricians who could not speak English. Company electricians who raised doubts about the work were allegedly fired.

A list compiled by Casey’s office details reports of electrocution deaths that included vehicles touching live wires, a solider killed while swimming and another who died while power-washing a Humvee. KBR told Casey Friday that it counted 15 electrocution deaths, basing its estimate on press reports.

The Pennsylvania lawmakers are involved because of the Jan. 2 death of Sgt. Ryan Maseth, of Pittsburgh, who was electrocuted while showering at barracks at the Radwaniyah Palace Complex in Baghdad, a facility overseen by KBR. An Army probe concluded the cause was improper grounding of an electric pump supplying water to the building. Maseth’s mother has sued KBR in Pennsylvania.

KBR was awarded the contract in 2001 to provide housing, dining facilities, sanitation systems, showers and other services for U.S. troops deployed overseas. It eventually included U.S. installations in Iraq following the 2003 invasion.

Utt told Casey that in February 2007, the contract was switched from “Level A” to “Level B.” That meant the Army took primary responsibility for preventive repairs and that KBR “only repairs items the Army directs us to repair,” KBR spokeswoman Heather Browne said in an e-mail.

Earlier this year, the Army selected three contractors to provide food, shelter and other services to U.S. troops overseas in an effort to improve oversight and accountability on the country. KBR, Falls Church, Va.-based DynCorp International Inc. and Irving, Texas-based Fluor Corp. each received $5 billion contracts. The deal includes nine one-year options which could be worth up to $150 billion.

Casey said he planned to send letters to the Defense Department and KBR seeking more clarification on who was responsible for the electrical work. A hearing on the electrocutions is also scheduled for Wednesday in the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Josh Holly, a Republican spokesman for the House Armed Services Committee, said the Defense Department Inspector General’s office is expecting to release an interim report in the coming weeks. A final report will be released by November detailing an analysis of the causes of the electrical shock, and future maintenance requirements.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

my image

2 Comments

  1. Comment by Electrical Rewiring:

    Thanks for sharing this post

  2. Comment by john a macki:

    this is just another reason why troops, tho under contract via enlisment must resist and or aid government to protect them or they will not fight and or re-enlist. Obvious lack of re-enlistment is safest way and less disruptive. Would not want to have our troops not fight, most of that is their fighting to keep others from killing them and or their buddys. We know officers always get the best and now their judgment on troops must be questionied. After all, when did you ever hear of an enlisted man getting a contract job with a private civilina defense contractor etc.? Right now, if I were back in and saw the fact and or read about vp cheney, war criminal, give Kidafhy a unit that could explode numclear weapons. I don’t think that he should have gotton away with that and how can he say he supports the troops when he lied about them figting in Iraq and is making a sincul amount of money from their deaths and or service? He is connected and was at all times with halburton and we have just a small idea of the crimes and lies and bribary charges that they ahve been connected to. You may make the defense that because cheney, a ceo, in company didn’t know about or be responsible for these deaths but that doesn’t apply to the fact that he outright lies about them not being guilty when he knows otherwise. If we can read about it, when convictions are made to halburton, then you would have to be blind deaf etc, to believe that he didn’t know about the problems that the company is having in those areas, especially when he became vp and still had connections with halburton. He never was disconnected from the company. He, and they held all of his salary and benefits in abeyance until after he left office. that is not a dis connect. Our future troops must know that they are going to die for nothing especaially with republcians getting in. This election is not really about economy etc., it is about who lets you die to protect their money, their family. Most of these men, if you can call them that got deferments until there weren’t any needed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *